Foal Assessments 2022 - Supported by MVS Equine for a further term
Video instructions and Entry conditions
To be assessed in Germany by the Verband judges – as was successfully carried out by the British Hanoverian Society during their Autumn – and the system will be used by other Daughter Societies and Breeding Clubs due to the constraints of the Covid pandemic.
Finish date: 31 March 2022 Fee: $25 per foal
- All foals with 8 or more receive the Premium Foal sash
- All foals receive the assessment certificate
- The Best foals will also receive the Gold Medal Plaque and Certificate at the AGM Awards presentation
Best Hanoverian Colt and Best Hanoverian Filly
Best Rheinland Colt and Best Rheinland Filly
Best Hanoverian filly and Best Hanoverian colt
Best Rheinland filly and Best Rheinland colt
Conditions of entry:
- Entry fee of $25 paid using the online form
- Foal registration and DNA fees must be paid – using the online Foal Application Form and memberships must also be current (due now if you have not paid yet)
- Entries close on 31st March 2021
Demonstration Video (with thanks to Katy Holde-Vale in the UK) – you will have to imagine that this is a foal – but the general idea is the same. The foal can be haltered and held for the initial inspection – and for the walking part. Let the foal go free for the trot (and canter for the jumping foals ) Keep the foal in front of or away from the mare in this part. The video is long but at least watch the first part. Some aspects around ID do not apply. Fast forward past the mare static assessment to the movement part.
Please remember to use Landscape mode - VERY important
Email your video file to email@example.com and we will review it and if your video is acceptable for Germany to review we will upload it onto our YouTube account as a private video, the video link will be shared with the judges in Germany. If your video content needs tweaking or doesn't meet the criteria we will be in touch with you.
- Your video will not be visible on YouTube to the general public nor will it be searchable by title.
- It is important that you do not add any music to your video because YouTube will flag it as copyrighted material and your video will not clear YouTube's checks for uploading.
-Video Title :
Please title your video in this format “Foal Name (Sire/Dam Sire) Breeder”
ie: Gossip Girl PSH (Grey Top/ Prince of Praise xx) Phoenix Sport Horses
Description to be included in email with video:
Foal Name (Sire/ Dam Sire) Breeder, D.O.B, sex, studbook (Hann or Rhein) date of video.
Explanations to the studbook inspection by video
For the studbook inspection by video we need four parts of the videos – they can be all in one or in 4 parts that we can splice together.
Video 1: Identification
To do so, place the foal on solid ground and film, preferably in landscape format, starting from the head and walking around the entire horse. Especially the white markings on the legs should be clearly visible. State the foal’s name and that of sire and dam and your name.
Video 2: Conformation and correctness of gaits
The next video is about the conformation and the correctness of gaits of the foal.
Place the foal on solid ground in an open position and film from the side (preferably in landscape format). Then turn the foal around to the right and stand her up in an open position from the other side.
Afterwards, to evaluate the correctness of gaits, lead the mare a few meters away from the camera, turn right and come back in a straight line. The limbs should be clearly visible.
Video 3: Walk on a circle - approx. 20m diameter
The filming should be done from the middle of the circle. The mare is led around the circle on the right-hand side, with the foal walking on her inside - and this should be presented in an active, rhythmic tempo. The walk can be accompanied by a whip handler if necessary.
Video 4: Trot on the triangle
Next you film the trot with mare in the same position on the right rein, with the foal again on her inside. An active trot is desired, if possible, with an extension in rhythm on the long side of the triangle. The trot can also be assisted by a whip handler if necessary. The foal can be run free if it is easier to capture the movement.
- Upload the video to firstname.lastname@example.org
Some things to take notice of to make your foal video the best it can be (and if you don’t like it try again before submitting)
- Choose the optimum age to get the best result – NOT during a growth spurt
- Make sure that the foal is in good condition and looking balanced in its body
- Wear sensible clothing (gloves, solid shoes, helmet if you feel you need to do so)
- Plaiting is optional
- Hooves must be unpainted
- Film in landscape – and don’t use the Zoom – try to fill the frame naturally
- Be aware of light and shade in your arena or field – and light above the subjects.
Where there are mare inspections taking place Angela and I can assist with getting the video done.
- If you have a mare or mares to inspect that I don’t know about, please contact me asap so we can fit you into the planning process. Remember that we are not under a strict time constraint this time – so there are always options available.
- If you want your foal inspected physically as well as by video - in cases where we are not necessarily planning on going then also let me know soon.